Minutes of the 63rd Annual General Meeting of Members of the Constantia Property Owners’ Association held on 14 November 2013 at 19h30 in the Alphen Hall, Alphen Centre, Constantia
There were 27 members present as per the attendance register and 3 proxies were received. The Chairman welcomed the members and stated that a quorum had been achieved. He extended a special welcome to the Ward (62) Councillor, Liz Brunette, who is also a member.
- Notice Convening the Meeting.
The notice convening the meeting was taken as read.
10 apologies were noted per attached list.
- Confirmation of the minutes
The minutes of the 62nd Annual General Meeting held on 14th November 2012 were taken as read and were confirmed to be a true reflection of proceedings. This was moved by Mr Alec Pienaar and seconded by Mr George Louw .
- Matters arising from the Minutes.
No matters arising were discussed
- Treasurer’s Report.
- The Treasurer, Mrs. Megan Veldhuis, presented the annual budget (copies were available for members and are attached hereto) for the ensuing year. The budget was adopted nem con and its adoption was proposed by George Louw and seconded by Alec Pienaar.
- The budget included an increase of subscriptions to R280 for single members and R390 for household members. A survey of subscriptions levied by other similar ratepayer’s associations was done and it was established that our proposed levies are well within the range.
- Membership remained fairly static (567 cf 561 in 2012) although this represents a very low percentage of potential members (approximately 3500 properties in Constantia). Existing members were again asked to talk to neighbours and friends who were not already members to consider joining.
- Mrs Veldhuis advised that the auditors had submitted a report in respect of the financial statements for the year ended 31 August 2013 that indicated that the audit evidence was sufficient and appropriate. An extract of the audit report reflecting detailed income and expenditure was handed to all members at the meeting. The question of invoicing members was raised by the auditors but in discussion with them, it was considered impracticable. The audit statements were adopted con.
- The appointment of the firm Alliott Andersen Nell Inc. as the association’s auditors for the ensuing year was approved con., proposed by George Louw and seconded by Alec Pienaar.
- 6. Chairman’s Report.
The Chairman, Mr. Gary May, delivered his report. A copy of this report is attached to the minutes on record.
- Ward Councillor’s Report.
The Ward Councillor, Liz Brunette, presented her report a copy of which is attached to the minutes on record. She also appealed to members to use the City Call Centre number (0860 103089) as the first ‘port of call’ for property owners to lodge complaints.
The Chairman extended a vote of thanks to Liz for all her assistance over the past year.
- Election of Executive Committee.
The Chairman stated that the under mentioned members were proposed and seconded for election to the executive committee. They have accepted their nominations. The following members were all duly elected:
Christopher Beatty, Anna Engelhardt, Mike Fowler, Isabelle Franzen, Yvonne Leibman, George Louw, Gary May, Jean Naude, Alec Pienaar, Brian Ratcliffe, Chris Rousseau, Megan Veldhuis and Peter Stenslunde. The ward councillor, Liz Brunette, would serve on the committee ex officio.
- Mr Mike Madden wanted to know what the City’s policy was on property owners building without approved building plans and then submitting plans after the event to regularize it. Councillor Liz Brunette stated that if City officials were alerted to illegal building then a ‘cease works order’ could be issued. She advised that such illegal building activity should be reported to both the City and the CPOA for appropriate action to be taken.
- There was a suggestion from the floor that the AGM be held earlier in the year as November was a very busy time for many people which could account for the poor turn-out this evening. This will be considered by the Executive Committee.